Assalam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh! Dear Alim!
Question: I would like to ask you questions about pregnancy and abortion. The following hadith is well known:
"Hudhayfah bin Usayd reports that Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, said:
"After more than four nights (from the time of approval) seed (in the womb), Allah sends an angel to it, which gives it form and gives his hearing, vision, skin, flesh and bones. And the angel says: "My Lord, he will be a man or a woman? " And Allah solves it. The angel carries out command of the Lord and then asks: "My Lord, what about his age?" And Allah establishes the period of human life. The angle writes it down, and then asks: "My Lord, what about his inheritance?" Allah has commanded the angel of human destiny and he writes down it. Then the angel comes with a scroll of human destiny. And nothing is added to it and nothing turned down this "(Muslim)."
My mother suffered a miscarriage, when the term of her pregnancy was approximately 1.5 months. Term of forty nights passed, but did not pass the term hundred and twenty days of pregnancy, "after inhaling the spirit into the embryo," according to another hadith. And my aunt had a miscarriage at six months pregnant. Were passed terms and forty nights, and one hundred and twenty days of pregnancy.
Please, answer the following questions:
1) What will happen to these unborn children? Will they have the life in the Hereafter?
2) Will my mother and my aunt get Savab for patience?
3) Will they do shafaat for his parents, as it is said in the following hadith: "The children who died before reaching the age of majority, are very active in the garden and like a moving fish. One of them will meet the parent, will take over his clothes, and do not let her go for as long as Allah will honor him, too paradise. " (Dzhamius-Sagheer, 3/2364)4) There is a hadith: "Let the name of children miscarriages. Because they are in the eternal world will contribute to the attainment of your higher powers." (Dzhamius-Sagheer, 3/1074) In this regard, I have a question: male or female name should be given to the child if we do not know the sex?
Thank you in advance for your reply.
Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh
1) Yes. These unborn children will have life in the hereafter and they will intercede for their parents.
2) Your mother and aunt will definitely be rewarded for their patience. The patience of the difficulties of pregnancy and the patience of suffering the miscarriage.
The Prophet of Allah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) has said:
ما يصيب المسلم من نصب ولا وصب ولا هم ولا حزن ولا أذى ولا غم حتى الشوكة يشاكها إلا كفر الله بها من خطاياه
“Whenever a Muslim is afflicted with fatigue, chronicle illness, grief, anxiety, pain or sorrow, Allah forgives his/her sins even though the difficulty he/she is going through may be as insignificant as the prick of a thorn”
(Sahih al-Bukhari, Hadith #: 5318, Narrated by Abu Hurayrah)
In another Hadith, the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said:
إن السقط ليجر أمه بسرره. إلى الجنة إذا احتسبته
“Indeed, the feotus will pull his/her mother by the umbilical cord to Jannah if she (the mother) has hope in Allah rewarding her for her miscarriage”
(Musnad Ahmed, Hadith #: 22090, Narrated by Mu’az)
3) As indicated in the Hadith above, the foetus will intercede on behalf of his/her parents.
With regards to naming the foetus, then yes, it is recommended to name the foetus based on the Hadith you have quoted in your question and other narrations. Although these narrations have not been classified as authentic and have some weakness in them, there are corroborating narrations to give it some credibility.
If there are indications of the foetus being of a certain gender, then the parent’s should name the foetus with the name suitable for that gender. If the gender is unknown, then it will be permissible to name the child with a male or female name, whichever the parents are more inclined towards.
And Allah Knows Best.
Suhail Tarmahomed (Mufti)