Why I'm talking to myself

Good day. I am a Muslim, and my husband wants to convert to Christianity, what can I do?


Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh

The fact that your husband wants to convert to Christianity is highly disturbing and in many instances, the ruling of Kufr will be applied in such situations (first of all, that your marriage is thus becomes invalid).

However, in this situation, caution demands that a thorough assessment be conducted before issuing any ruling of Kufr.

It is however important that both of you discuss the issue to determine the status of the marriage and he should be asked whether he is a Muslim or Christian.

Encourage him towards Islam either by yourself or get the local Imam or some local Muslims (if non Imam is available) to encourage him towards Islam. If he is satisfied and says he is a Muslim, then I suggest that the Nikah be renewed as a precautionary measure before living together as husband and wife.

If he desists from Islam and adopts Christianity or says that he is a Christian, the Nikah will terminate due to him falling out of the fold of Islam. (al-Fatawa al-Hindiyyah, Vol: 1, Pg: 339 & Jawahirul Fiqh, Vol: 2, Pg: 136)

And Allah Knows Best.


Mufti Suhail Tarmahomed

comments powered by Disqus